Friday, July 22, 2005

THE VERDICT ON JURY DUTY

Here is the meager "liveblogging" report from (Day 2) at City Hall *SPOILER ALERT* in which you find out I don't get assigned to any case whatsoever:

-----------------------

Today’s expected arrival time: 9:10
MAAT: 9:30, laptop in tow.

PLEASE HAVE A SEAT AND DO NOT APPROACH THE COUNTER AT THIS TIME. THANK YOU.

I APPROACH THE COUNTER!!!!!!

I'm ignored until I eventually start laughing and walk away. 4 SECONDS ENTERTAINMENT--not bad!

Pop out to the croissant guy. Hey old friend…! Point to a dense, seeded brown bun and ask: "What's that?" “Wheat” …. “Just wheat?” ….. “Yeah.” ….. “I’ll take a chocolate croissant and a coffee.” Of course I will. I think of him as the "croissant guy."

Back in the big room. 8 names are called, selected for "Gonzales" case. (Not real name). One selected juror's reaction is to fold his newspaper, toss it down, and scowl. I want to meet eyes with him and eagerly mouth: “Congratulations, [his full name]!” Or maybe just congratulations [first name], that's more friendly. And a thumbs up.

Now's the moment of triumph...I proudly open my laptop. I’m instant messaging in several windows before I even turn on my computer.

A desk lady gets on the mic and makes an announcement: when the do not approach the desk sign is up please do not approach the desk--got it!

(Chewing and typing) How is the chocolate inside this thing so good? You wouldn't expect that here. (Sipping) And great coffee. I gotta hand it to the croissant man, he has a captive customer base and he could have phoned it in, but he didn't. He's got great product...

I could actually come write here sometimes...it's very peaceful in a way.


The sound of 8 zillion attendances being taken echoes uselessly behind me...

WAIT! (Screeching of brakes) I CANNOT GET ON BLOGGER. Repeat. I cannot get on blogger.

I spend at least 20 minutes retrying, over and over. Clickclickclickclickclickclick on bookmark.

Clickclickclick. Great! This whole laptop thing is really working out.

I open a word document and start writing this dreary post in it.

10:54 bored. Still, making better time than yesterday.

Bickering and blabbering in IM is greatly reducing my "liveblogging" capabilities.

12:30PM: It's over.

"THERE ARE NO MORE TRIALS TO BE ASSIGNED AT THIS TIME. YOU ARE ALL EXCUSED FROM JURY DUTY. PLEASE APPROACH THE DESK TO GET YOUR PROOF OF SERVICE PAPERS."

"Oh ho ho! Now we are invited to approach the desk!" That's my exaggerated body language as I lope over to it.


~Fin~

No comments:

Post a Comment