Friday, February 25, 2005

Carbonara! Carbonara! Carbonara! I LOVE YOU Carbonara!

Carbonara is one of my favorite pasta dishes. Be careful in judging it from one try, because most places make it wrong (adding cream and peas in an alfreddoey slop.)

For my bday brunch I went to get the best carbonara I've ever had in the city.



Unfortunately a while ago this place began using bacon (instead of the more flavorful pancetta they used to use) but fortunately, carbonara with bacon is still pretty damn good. That's how my mom used to make it and her version has been a longtime hit.

Anyhow me and my buddy Andrea had a dinner party a while back and made carbonara from a recipe she had (I usually do it on instinct) that turned out amazing.

Here is that recipe (7th step is her addition):

carbonara recipe
serves 4

1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
5 oz pancetta cut into 1/4" (dice)
2 eggs plus 2 egg yolks
1 lb spaghetti
1/2 c. freshly grated parm-reggiano
1/2 c. fresh grated pecorino romano


1. heat oil in skillet medium high heat add pancetta and fry til crisp and brown (5-6 min)
2. put eggs, egg yolks, and 1/2 c.water into sm. bowl, beat with fork, set aside
3. cook spaghetti in lage pot of boiling salt water, al dente (10-12 min)
4. drain in colander
5. mix eggs, pancetta (including all the grease), and 1/4 cup of each cheese, into the spaghetti.
6. serve with remaining 1/4 cup of each cheese sprinkled on top.
7. go to the gym


C A R B O N A R A

No comments:

Post a Comment