Sunday, February 12, 2006

To the guy who once handed me a Bill Hicks CD...

Probably a couple years ago after a show at Rififi someone handed me a burned Bill Hicks CD. I can't remember who it was now. I listened to it during the blizzard. Thank you.

From BH's site:

"By December Hicks' deterioration was evident and he knew he was dying, moving back to his parents' house in Little Rock in January 1994. On January 6th, his health clearly ailing, he played his final show in New York. In his final weeks he played his mother music by John Hiatt, Miles Davis and Elvis Presley, showed her documentaries on Jimi Hendrix and The Beatles. He read 'Huckleberry Finn' again, tried to get his father to take mushrooms...He looked forward with hope, readied himself for the next life, calling his friends to say goodbye before ceasing to speak on February 14th.

At 11.20pm on Saturday 26th February he died in Little Rock, Arkansas, buried in the family plot in Leakesville, Mississippi. At the memorial service Hicks' brother read out a piece Bill had written and requested be read: "I left in love, in laughter, and in truth, and wherever truth, love and laughter abide, I am there in spirit."


I'm going to think about a mute Bill Hicks this Valentine's Day.

So if you were considering asking me to the big v-day formal, probably don't. All I'd be doing is bringing you down by standing in the corner thinking about Bill Hicks being unable to speak.

No comments:

Post a Comment