Thursday, April 12, 2007

Judge Roscioli breaks down the concept of "getting it"

Nancy Smith claimed to be contrite Wednesday about having a three-year love affair with a teenage boy but failed to convince a Northampton County judge that she was truly remorseful.

I'm truly sorry for what happened," Smith, 47, said at her sentencing hearing. "It's one thing in my life I would do over again if I could." Her words rung hollow with Judge Paula A. Roscioli, who said Smith showed little concern for the victim and was only sorry that she got caught.

Roscioli said that in the evaluation, Smith described the boy as "extremely mature for his age," and told the counselor he was "14 going on 40."

"You still don't get it," Roscioli said. "The fact that you described the victim as '14 going on 40' tells me you still don't get it."

No comments:

Post a Comment